Thursday, February 1, 2007

My Reminiscences - I

One of my esteemed friends pointed out that my blogs were more like essays and that I should write about my own life or something that is at least mildly interesting. So, considering his advice, I thought of writing an actual blog. I am going to write about my earliest memory. I am not sure of the date or even all the details. But this is the earliest thing I can remember about my life.

I must be around 1-2 years old. I remember my first house. It was out in Trichur, Kerala. It was in Poonkunam area of the town. The entrance was a rusted iron gate leading to a pink bunglow. There were moses and lichens on the boundary walls. There was a shaded car park and to its left the entrance to my house. There were 2-3 bedrooms in the entire house. But I think we only ownd the bottom floor with 1 bedroom and kitchen. The house was very simple. Its windows were grilled with long and thin iron rods. I remember only one more clearly than the rest as it was facing the road. Opposite my house was a bus stand where a lot of people could be found in the mornings and evenings otherwise it was usually empty. I used to watch the buses come and go by sitting at the window ledge. My mom used to put me there when she had work in the kitchen. But I usually got bored very fast. And I ended up in the kitchen again in a matter of few minutes. I was not a mischievous kid. Actually, I was a very serene child. I was a bit plump with huge cheeks and long curly hair. Nose was kind of flat and small. Eyes were small, like my mums. And I was pretty fair. All in all I was a cute baby. But its kind of stupid to say that, after all, all babies are cute.

I remember very well that my mum used to wear saris in those days. And that dad and Ravi Kaka were much thinner. We had a house maid, Radha. She used to play with me a lot. I learned to eat Chaas Baath through her. My mum used to play with me too. Dad and Ravi Kaka, I am not too sure. I also remember spending a lot of time with my aunty-Anu when I was a baby. She used to take lice out of my hair every sunday.

There used to be a Union Workers office opposite my house. I used to see stout dark men with Blue shirts and Pink Lungi's. All of them were my friends. I used to go there regularly. I guess I must be 3 by then. They used to be damn friendly and all. But I was always amazed at how much time they had. They would sit there the whole day. It was only later that that I understood that such was the nature of their "work".

There is nothing much I can remember beyond this. Other than a small accident I had when I tried to imitate my dad shaving and cut myself with the razor and once when my family was going for a holiday they forgot me in the house. And I was merrily playing until they suddenly remembered that they forgot an important "baggage" and came back.

Well, these are my earliest memories. Its like a movie with a very bad print. I cant seem to remember much. Just the little things. I remember some more, but it would be pointless to write it down as they were little jokes and games that I shared with these people at those times. I just thought I'd start of with my earliest memories. Next time I'll write about the stuff that really mattered. Until then, Aidios Amigos...

1 comment:

juxtaposed2.0 said...

how come i seem to know all of this???
NEAT BLOG BRO! MEE BAKK!