Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Terrible Two

"Its them..." all the children say in half terror when they notice two small, lean figures moving towards them. But that does not stop them from mocking these two five year olds. For these two were not like them. They were different in their appearance, dress up, accent, color and even spoke a totally foreign language! They were like aliens from some far off planet. And just like any pack of untamed animals all the children were pretty much hostile towards the two. Do not make the mistake of considering these solitary souls as weak and helpless, for this mistake wrought havoc that day onto the pack of children who tried to mock these two.

By now you must have guessed that one of the two was me. The other was my best friend at that time, Utkarsh. He and his family used to live with us when we were in Kerala. My dad and his dad were running the business together along with my uncle. All together we were one big happy family. We went on vacations to various exotic destinations all over the south - Thekkady, Munnar, Ooty, Kodai etc etc every three months. It was a very happy time. I spent every vacation with my most favorite people in the whole wide world. What more could a guy ask?

Now coming back. Me and Utkarsh were enrolled in BVB - a nice CBSE school filled with happy little mallu children with coconut oil and their cute little mallu smiles. Now me and Utkarsh being the only Gujju's in the whole school obviously stood out. We did not know the language, nor did we even minutely resemble anyone or anything that can be found in malluland. So inevitably we were the OUTKASTS. But that did not trouble me or him for we had each others company and that was enough to get us through. The trouble for us did not end there, we were mocked and ridiculed by all. But do not start pitying us yet.

For for every sentence of mockery uttered by the mallu kids there wz hell to pay. We charged at them and then gave them a pounding of a lifetime. Together we were an unbeatable force. Nothing lasted in front of us. We fought with such passion and vigor that all that the hapless mallu's could do was cry and run to their Mama. The main reason for such power was our unity. The mallu's though a huge majority were more or less divided and didnt understand the idea of deep friendship and what one true friend can do for another. We understood this at such a young age. Parents of the beaten up children used to come to school to check out this insidious duo. But, Alas! This duo lasted only a year.

Utkarsh's parents could not quite adjust in Kerala and Utkarsh left along with his parents. I was left alone. It felt as if my beacon of light was taken away and I was left to face this terrible darkness all alone. It felt as if I was lost in the jungle with wild animals all around me waiting to rip me apart. If you think that "Okay, he's done for..." WRONG AGAIN!!!

Even after Utkarsh left I was strong enough to fend for myself. Children still got beaten up but less often now, parents still complained and my school hours were extended. I was in detention everyday for the next few YEARS. I was also placed on a solitary bench in the classroom. They did everything humanely possible to curb me and make me just like the other students - an obedient little mouse. But I abashed all their efforts. I was good to people who were good to me. And I was pretty much cruel to people who were not. I shall tell you of one of my antics which was conveniently reminded of by the victim itself a few years back. It was lunch time and I was eating my food. This dude comes out of nowhere and tells me that my food looks like shit and starts mocking my accent. By this time I had finished my lunch. I took my steel lunchbox and smashed it on his face. He broke two of his front teeth which were anyways dangling. So in a way I did a favor for him, wont you say? Pretty gruesome, you'd say. But trust me when you are alone in a classroom where you dont understand the language and when people treat you differently you can become pretty violent, especially if you have the guts and the power.

So this was my early school life. I was very good in academics and sports(the only period of my life). Believe it or not I won all the races until 1st STD and I came in the Top 3 in class until 6th. But hey, everyone has their downfall. I shall write later about my middle school life. Till then...Chow!

No comments: