Saturday, December 30, 2006

2006:An Overview

We have reached the end of the year. And what a year it has been! Full of surprises and life changing experiences. I am sure everyone has had at least one experience that must have changed their course of life. This is a piece of written work I am going to have no pleasure in writing. For, this involves my experiences in this year. And one thing I hate writing about is my troubles. And frankly, this year was undoubtedly on of the most turbulent years I've ever had. I shall try to make it as brief as possible.

The year began with a realization that the board exams were just a mere two months away. Now, those of you who know me also know of my particular characteristic of "not studying" and "sleeping" almost whenever deep studies are involved. I just could not help it. Studies just did not intrigue me. It did not interest me so I did not bother. Then February came, and came the first signs of my inevitable state. I began to fall sick, vomiting, nausea, cramps etc. Nothing too serious but still disturbing. The visits to the doctor brought no avail. Then in March the board exams started, the first three were fairly uneventful. The last two were equally hellish. I was sick for most of the study holidays. By gods grace the day before exams and exam days I felt better and somehow covered up. It was the first time I truly regretted my "no study" policy. The exam finally finished on March 17. Next three days were blissful. On the fourth I was admitted in the hospital. On the fifth my world was turned upside down. On sixth I was in India.

My sickness during exam was considered "exam fear". For those who truly know me would say "bullcrap", just as I did. But, when my sickness did not go away even after the exam, my parents were inclined to take me to the hospital. It was late and after subsequent blood tests I was allowed to sleep. On next day I found out I had renal failure. In layman's term my kidneys had stopped working or were in the process. My parents took the decision of going to India for further treatment. And I was on the next plane to Mumbai.

How this happened I do not know. To cut a long story short. It might have been a slow process which might have started a long time back but suddenly for some reason the process sped up. Again, no idea. It could have also been an infection. The doctors had no idea of the source.

In India, the tests began. Heavy medicines were given-steroids, immunosuppressents and a range of other covering medicines. After which I was set up for a particularly distasteful procedure of Kidney Biopsy. Fat as I was my kidneys were deeper than normal range, so the biopsy was particularly difficult. In Biopsy a long needle gun is put through your back "Plop" and the end reaches the kidney and with one gun shot sound a small sample of kidney tissue is removed and the needle is removed "Plop" again. Well, it does not make the plop sound. But it makes the whole thing more bearable. After examination of those tissues I knew the name of the disease. It was a triumph of science but I could not care less nor would you as the treatment was still the same. Its name was Rapidly Progressive Glomerular Nephritis or RPGN. And it was eating away both my kidneys. What this thing does is pushes your immune system to purge your kidney. In essence your body is your kidneys enemy. So, they give the immunosuppressents. Its called an auto-immune disorder. A minor surgery was performed in my hand to prepare me for dialysis(a process of purification of blood by passing it through a machine) "in case" my kidneys failed. A shunt was made on my wrist to increase the rate of blood flow. You are awake in the operation and its 45 minutes long. Using local anesthesia an artery and a vein is joined. Its not fun, but it is not that bad.

The hospital food was dreadful and the whole kidney problem had totally deteriorated my taste buds owing to high toxicity in my body. Plus my diet was highly restricted. No salt, no chili, less oil, no saturated fats, no fruits and selected vegetables. This was truly a hellish time, for I cherish food. I relish its every bite. Every taste brings a sensation that cannot be described in words. A day before my birthday I was discharged and my treatment was to be continued at home. My birthday was a flowery one. I was showered with bouquets so you must understand my "excitement". So passed my highly ironic "uneventful" 18th birthday.

The medicines greatly decreased my immunity and I immediately caught Cholitis. It was not at all fun. Diarrhea with a lot of pain. And I was back in hospital in less than four days. But in the process my shunt failed and new one had to be put. That was done too. In a matter of a week I was discharged and I moved to a flat at beach side on 5th floor in Mumbai, where the treatment was continued for the next one month. Bought a computer, but had lost interest. Bought some books, but did not read them. The medicines were showing their side effects. Not pretty. The food was still as bad as it could get but better than hospital. Since there was no improvement, the course of medicines was changed. And for one more month I was given a different set of the same medicines. In other words I was given Milka instead of Dairy Milk. By now it was May something. I had acquired a nasty cough. It persisted. By May 19 my kidneys deteriorated and I was admitted to hospital. A different one this time. By now my sputum had blood. A new problem had come up.

By now the doctor felt it was time to start dialysis. My shunt had not developed that well but still it was thought to be "workable". In dialysis 2 needles are inserted in your hand one to take blood and pass through the machine and other to bring it back. I thought "Well, things cant get worse" but just as in movies when stuff like this is said things do get worse. In dialysis the needle went out of the vein and spread blood under my tissues leading to haematoma which gave my hand a black color from elbow to shoulder. So, now the shunt though still working was essentially useless.

At this same time, the doctor had another worry, that of my lungs. Obviously, blood in sputum was not a good sign. On the third day the doctor shared his suspicions, that the lung problem might be an auto-immune disorder. My first reaction was "Okay! Now Its goodbye!". Think about it. Kidneys gone, lungs going. Who you going to bet on?

The treatment was started. Higher dosage of medicines. And plasmapheresis- a process of removing all antibodies during dialysis. Now, since the shunt was useless they had to put a catheter in my thigh vein. Again, not a fun process. But, my condition seemed to get worse. Now, the doctor was confused. Blood works were done for all possibilities-fungus, protozoa, bacteria-you name it. All tests were inconclusive. It had been almost 10 days. And my condition was not improving. So he started his trail and error. You must understand, if this was indeed auto immune there was no problem the immunosuppressents could cure it. But, if it is not the auto immune medicines were killing me. Because without immunity my body was an open invitation for the infections. So, the doctor was giving a balanced "diet" of medicines. By 20 days I was declared "critical". I was as close to death as I could get. But I was not informed of it then. For which I have ambivalent feelings. Then the doctor upon the advice of one of the best lung surgeons did a bronchoscopy. One of the most uncomfortable procedures you can go through. And it was found it was a virus-CMV. It had attacked my lungs. So, medicines were started and I was up and moving in a week. A lot of other tests were carried out to find out if the CMV had affected any other parts. They were again not so comfortable. Luckily, I did not have any more problems. I was in the hospital for a month. My young age saved me. Had I been 40 or older. Well, you definitely would not be reading this. And finally, discharged, I returned home by June 23.

By now, my hand was not that black and was turning a shade of red. And my shunt could be used. Now, there was no chance for the kidneys. It was irreversible. Dialysis was to be done 3 times a week 4 hours at a stretch. Transplant was inevitable. After a month, I went to Singapore to consult with a doctor. It was decided that we would get the transplant done in Singapore. And his advice was to wait for 2 months for my body to recuperate from the infection. So the next 2 months the search for a suitable donor began. First, among close family members and then a bit far off ones. My mum and dad were not suitable. Luckily my long distance uncle was a good match and he agreed to give me his kidney. For which I'll be ever grateful.

The only good thing about dialysis was that the medicines were stopped and I felt better. I could eat at least normal food. During early times Mihir, one my best friend, used to come, until his college started. I was thankful for that. Then, my cousin Rishit used to come. I am again indebted. Also Shannik,another one of my good friends used to come even though she had college. I thank them all for giving me company for those four hours. Sometimes my uncles, other cousins used to come. I thank them too. Chirag, my cousin used to spend the nights when I was in the hospital and again all I can say is thanks. I thank all of you guys for supporting me through this problem.

Somewhere, in between, for a break I had gone to Dubai. There Jeffrey, another one of my best friend, used to accompany me to dialysis. In all, all these people made the time easier to pass by. It is truly amazing that in times of distress people matter the most. Also, during the time of distress God is your only hope of salvation. It is during this period that I stumbled upon the power of prayer. My breath is the proof of this.

After coming back from Dubai in a month or two I was off to Singapore with my mum, dad, aunt and uncle. These are the people I am thankful for most. For they have been with me since the beginning. Even before leaving there was a small scare. I contracted a viral fever. But that passed. I reached Singapore on October 24. On November 3 I had my operation. By November 17 I was discharged. By December 1st week I was fit as ever. I am still in Singapore. My after transplant medicines are being adjusted constantly. They are for life time. So a nice balance needs to be maintained before I go back to Dubai. So, I am here till February mid. Exactly a year would have passed when I reach Dubai.

Now, I am doing fine. Exercising an hour a day. Reading. And passing time away as I want to. This was my year of 2006. Not a great one. But still truly life changing. And a lot of things were learned. Things that school does not teach you. Things which are invaluable. Its true what they say, the real world is truly different. Now its the end of the year and I can say quite enthusiastically "I am doing great!".

I hope you are not as bored as I am. Its truly boring to read about someone else's problems. If this year had turned out differently I would have been writing about college, parties, new friends, career etc etc. It would have been a more fun read. And I would also enjoy writing it. But fate has its own wicked games, does'nt it? All we can do is face it and move on. Thats what I did. Thats what I am doing. And thats what I'll do next year.

4 comments:

juxtaposed2.0 said...

Hey man
Amazin...life changing year for all of us.
U been a source of inspration for me... always looked up to your courage..
Now even more proud of u... co u had the courage to come and tell what happ...

LIFE SCREWS... BUT U SCREW LIFE BACK !
amazin bro

Unknown said...

hey nishu...ur a fighter...like i told u earlier.....ur an inspiration to us all...n d previous comment proves dat im not d only one who thinks so...luv u man...

The Flatter World said...

Hi Nishu,

You are such a gem, I cannot even imagine that one can write a blog on such a bad phase of life with so much ease. After reading this blog of yours I can only say you have not only displayed your courage but also explicitly set an example of positive approach in life.
Its true that everyone has to face a ups and downs in life, but yours was a total blackout which happened without any intimation. Believe me, if I were in your place, I would have succumbed by this time. They way you have faced the reality and fought back with a positive attitude, I can say you are a Lance Armstrong in the family and I am really proud to have a brother like you.
The year 2006 was not good for me as well and I sometimes doubt my decision of moving to Dubai. But after reading your blog I feel with an positive atitude like yours, even I can turn things around in 2007. You have really inspired me to fight it out. Thanks bro.

Shanky

Unknown said...

Truly BREATH TAKING man. U r just amazin dude.Í hav got plenty to learn from u man. Ú hav got an ocean of courage n determination tat left u unshattered.
A salute to u my frnd.